What was probably the first 'Disciples' group in Charleston began meeting in homes in 1887, then later held weekly services in a hall on Meeting Street. This early group of Disciples of Christ had a Tabernacle erected on Rutledge Avenue in 1897 for the purpose of holding a revival, which was conducted by Evangelist J.A.L. Romig. This revival resulted in the addition of many families who were to make up the membership of the church in the years to come.
The FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH of Charleston was formally organized and chartered during the Romig revival in April, 1897. A newspaper article dated June 19, 1897 announced regular services at the Tabernacle under the church's first pastor, S.D. Colyer.
As their membership increased, the congregation began to lay plans for a church home of their own. Construction of a church building on Calhoun Street was undertaken and dedicated in 1904. First Christian Church experienced a steady growth, and in 1975 the congregation moved to its present sight on Orange Grove Road.
Our church follows the traditions and doctrines of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), believing in an autonomous or congregational form of church government, weekly observance of the Lord’s Supper, and the Christian ordinance of baptism.